How To Grow Healthy Hair Long and Strong Naturally
You want to learn how to grow healthy hair long and strong. Long, gorgeous, shiny, smooth, healthy hair. That’s the dream, right? But if you’re anything like me, you know it’s tougher than it sounds to get amazing hair.
And that goes double if you’re committed to avoiding products with toxic, dangerous, and environmentally unfriendly ingredients.
But don’t worry. I’ve got your back. Here’s everything you need to know to keep your hair healthy and grow it long naturally.
Five Steps To Grow Healthy Hair Long And Strong
Step 1. Chuck Your Shampoo
This is step number one if you use conventional shampoos or conditioners. If you’re dousing your hair with unhealthy, potentially toxic ingredients, you’re just getting in your own way. Go through your shower and get rid of any products with the following junk in them:
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate: Ingredients you’ll also find in garage floor cleaners and engine degreasers. They get in the way of hair growth.
- Propylene Glycol: You’ll also find this in antifreeze. Stay away from it in your shampoos, as well as your conditioners, mouthwashes, and toothpaste.
- Artificial Chemical Fragrance: What’s in artificial fragrance? Who knows? It’s a loophole that lets cosmetics manufacturers put anything they want in their products. You can bet that the junk they include isn’t any good for your hair – or your health as a whole.
So what do you use instead? I like these natural alternatives:
- Natural Shampoos and Conditioners: If you hate the idea of giving up shampoo, look for natural alternatives that contain ingredients that work with your body instead of against it. And did you know that apple cider vinegar makes a real good conditioner? And it wont leave your hair smelling like ACV either.
- Argan Oil: Use pure Argan Oil to condition your hair naturally, leaving it smooth, shiny, and strong.
- Switch to a Boar Bristle Brush: Brushing your hair the right way can actually leave it cleaner and healthier. More on that next!
Step 2. Brush Right
The number one factor I point to to grow healthy hair long and strong naturally is my boar bristle brush. Here’s what I love about it:
- It’s a dry shampoo treatment: Boar bristles are incredibly effective at transporting your hair’s natural oils (called sebum) down the length of your hair. When you use one of these brushes, your hair ends up looking and feeling lighter and cleaner because the oils are spread out instead of in one place.
- It’s a conditioning treatment: Sebum is also an extremely effective moisturizer. When it’s spread along the length of your hair correctly, it leaves your locks stronger, softer, and more beautiful.
- It’s a head massager: Massaging your scalp helps to stimulate circulation, which makes your hair grow faster. Plus it feels reaaaaally good.
To help your hair grow faster, use your boar bristle brush the right way. Here’s a quick rundown of a technique called the Morocco Method – click the link to learn more.
- Before you brush your hair, take a few minutes to sit quietly and breathe slowly through your nose. You’ll feel less tense, which will help more blood reach your scalp.
- Sit straight, then bend over at the waist. Brush from your scalp to the tips of your hair, working in sections to make sure all areas are brushed.
- Sit up straight and brush all of your hair again.
- Repeat brushing this way morning and night.
Want a little more info on how to get the most out of your boar bristle brush? Check out the blog post I wrote about it here.
Step 3. Give Moisturizing Oils a Try
So let’s talk about moisturizing for a second. When your hair is well moisturized, it’s in a much better position to grow longer. Here’s why:
- Moisturizing provides nutrients: Just like any other part of your body, your hair needs nutrition to grow and stay strong.
- Moisturizing prevents dryness and breakage: This means your hair won’t break before it reaches the length you want.
- Moisturizing repairs hair: Heat, color, and styling can all damage hair, which leads to breakage. Natural moisturizers counteract that.
Some of my favorite natural hair care moisturizers are the ones I can find in my kitchen. Here are some of my favorites if you want to grow long hair naturally:
- Olive Oil: One of my favorite conditioners. Chock full of antioxidants, olive oil keeps hair smooth, shiny, and soft, and puts it in a great position to grow long and healthy.
- Jojoba Oil: So remember sebum, the oil that your body produces to protect and moisturize your hair? Jojoba oil has a very similar molecular structure. Your hair and scalp will love it. Not only is it lightweight, it can help remove build-up on your scalp.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood smells amazing. I love it. I also love that it helps to stimulate circulation in the scalp. Better circulation equals faster hair growth, so this oil is a must if you want to grow healthy hair long and strong.
- Argan Oil: Not only does argan oil protect and condition hair, it can also reduce skin irritation. If an unhappy scalp is part of why your hair isn’t the length you want, use argan oil to soothe that itchiness away.
Step 4: Give Yourself the Royal Treatment
When you really want to treat your hair (and yourself) right, you can’t beat a natural hair mask. I love making one of these up, putting on a face mask, and giving myself a mini spa day. All of these masks have ingredients that support hair growth and health, plus they’ll leave your locks feeling unbelievably shiny and soft.
- Avocado and Banana Mask: Avocado and banana may not sound like a very appealing combination at first, but believe me, your hair will love it! Mash up a ripe avocado and a ripe banana into a paste. Massage it into your hair, let it sit for 30 minutes, then wash it out. Your hair will love all the nutrients it provides.
- Egg Mask: Eggs are a great source of protein, which your hair needs to grow long. Make up a quick egg mask by mixing a little bit of olive oil and honey with the white of one egg. Apply all over your hair, let it sit for a half hour, then rinse.
- Olive Oil and Honey: A sweet, nourishing treat for dry, brittle hair. Combine a few drops of honey with a quarter cup of olive oil (use a whisk if they aren’t mixing easily). Massage into damp hair, wrap up in a shower cap, and let it sit for an hour to an hour and a half. Rinse and repeat every week or so.
Step 5: Eat Right!
So far I’ve been focusing on what you can do to grow hair faster naturally from the outside, but you can also improve your hair health from the inside out. What you eat has a huge impact on the way your hair looks and how quickly it grows. Here are some of my favorite hair-friendly foods:
- Spinach: You need plenty of minerals to grow long hair. Spinach is a mineral powerhouse. It’s full of iron (a nutrient that many women don’t get enough of), as well as magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Eat it every day for strong, healthy hair.
- Salmon: There’s a connection between inflammation and losing hair. Eating foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids reduces inflammation. There’s no better way to get omega-3s than salmon. Salmon is also a great source of protein, which will further help your hair stay long and strong.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is a great way to get hair-friendly nutrients (like iron, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids). It also contains polyunsaturated fatty acids, which help to stimulate hair growth. For bonus points, sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. It adds tons of flavor and stimulates circulation.
- Nuts and seeds: Did you know that pistachios have been linked to reducing male pattern baldness? Walnuts are full of oils that help keep your hair from breaking. All kinds of nuts and seeds have the nutrients and fatty acids necessary to grow your locks the length you’d like.
Final Tips to Grow Healthy Hair Long and Strong
A few more notes before we finish up!
- If You’re Worried About Hair Loss, See a Doctor: If you’re worried that hair loss may be due to a health problem, take the time to go talk to a doctor. These steps to grow healthy hair long and strong naturally can make a big difference, but not if an underlying medical condition is keeping your hair from being its best.
- Play Nice: Be gentle with your hair. Harsh treatments like dye and bleaches will absolutely get in the way of growing long, strong hair. And be sure to protect your hair from the elements – sun and chlorine exposure can damage your locks and get in the way of growth.
- Remember, It’s a Process: Growing healthy hair long and strong naturally takes time, but it’s worth the wait! Take your time, take great care of yourself, and enjoy the process. Before you know it, you’ll have the hair of your dreams!
So that’s all I have – what about you? Have you taken on the challenge to grow healthy hair long and strong? What did you do to reach your goals? Got any tips or tricks to grow hair faster naturally? Let us know about them in the comments below!